Friday, August 10, 2012

Pompeii Graffiti

I've read a lot of great things in my short lifetime.  But nothing so great as the graffiti from Pompeii.

Most are certainly not PG, but here are some that are.

  • Virgula to her friend Tertius: you are disgusting!
  • O walls, you have held up so much tedious graffiti that I am amazed that you have not already collapsed in ruin.
  • A small problem gets larger if you ignore it.
  • A copper pot went missing from my shop.  Anyone who returns it to me will be given 65 bronze coins (sestertii).  20 more will be given for information leading to the capture of the thief.
  • Secundus says hello to his friends.
  • I don’t want to sell my husband, not for all the gold in the world
  • Romula hung out here with Staphylus.
  • What a lot of tricks you use to deceive, innkeeper. You sell water but drink unmixed wine
  • On April 19th, I made bread 
  • Antiochus hung out here with his girlfriend Cithera.

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm

3 comments:

Frits said...

I did not know that existed. That was pretty amazing. Human kind hasn't changed at all.

hannah said...

i have been to pompeii, i don't think i remember that

Finn Haverkamp said...

likewise