Tuesday, September 10, 2013

How America is Different

Really interesting thread about foreigners' impressions of America and Americans.

Read it here

Suffice to say, the most common answers are:

  1. Portion Size
  2. The size of the United States. People cannot conceptualize how humongous it is.
  3. Lack of public transportation
  4. Strange pricing (fast food is cheap. Fruits and vegetables are expensive)
  5. Bulk foods and how they promote waste
  6. Stores are huge and everywhere
  7. Hot water always and everywhere
  8. Commonness and informality of using someone first name and, in particular, abbreviated versions of the first name (Joe for Joseph).
  9. Obesity
  10. Our healthcare system
  11. Importance of a good credit score
  12. To-go boxes at restaurants are apparently unique to us
  13. Ease of attaining a driver's license
  14. Drinking age

Some choice quotes:

" I realized I thought that the sound of crickets and frogs in the evening was a cinematic convention meant to convey that night had fallen. The first time I heard this sound (especially on the east coast) it blew my mind."


---------------------


I once had a foreign friend stand in shock at the presence of a big yellow school bus. She thought that they were a way for movies and television to express "school" rather than an actual method of transportation.


----------------------


I do remember a Nigerian friend expounding on this by asking me, "If I woke you up in the middle of the night and asked you to come with me, what would you say?"
"I'd ask what was going on..."
"You see," he said. "My friends from my village would come with me, and on the way would ask, 'Ade, where are we going?' "

2 comments:

noah said...

is there no drinking age in some other countries? or i assume a lower age

Keith said...

nicely done finn.
good to see ourselves from another perspective.